We all know there are so numerous diverse coaching approaches, education programs, and coaching personalities. Numerous gymnastics coaches productively get their gymnasts more robust, but they do not always include sufficient sport particular training into their programs. I have observed gymnasts reward from the basic toughness workouts such as drive ups, but when it comes time to execute particular expertise the gymnast’s muscles are not usually ready, accustomed to the sequence of actions for the skills, or robust adequate in each placement necessary to safely total the talent.
Gymnasts truly want a variety of instruction to contain activity particular education besides standard power conditioning in purchase to far more closely simulate the capabilities in our activity. For illustration, numerous straight arm exercises these kinds of as the front lateral raise, push handstand, or planche drills a lot more carefully simulate gymnastics capabilities than bent arm exercise routines such as the thrust up, bench push, or reverse dips.
Below is one particular straight arm workout that has aided many gymnasts improve their upper body, shoulders, and back muscles, getting to be much better in two quite essential motions. Since the gymnast often must be capable to open and shut the shoulder angle in the course of skills on uneven bars, I have integrated a really valuable physical exercise which incorporates each up and down actions. This one ought to support her find out to successfully changeover from 1 arm motion to the next with ease. Image your gymnast performing a glide kip, solid handstand, very clear hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder actions numerous moments inside this short period of time. Once you see the shoulder movements necessary to hook up these capabilities you will see the factors I experienced for incorporating two workout routines into a single drill far more than a decade in the past. This workout truly alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Solid/Kip Drill (Barbell / Firming Bar)
1. Location your gymnast for the duration of this physical exercise. Give her total guidelines ahead of she begins the physical exercise.
2. Placing Up: Have your gymnast lie on her again in between two folded panel mats with her arms above her head. Her head should remain in between the mats, but her fingers and wrists ought to go beyond the mats in get to permit the bar to almost contact the floor after it is lifted over head for complete range of movement.
3. The folded mats must be a number of inches greater than your gymnast while she is lying in between them for protection causes. The bar should be extended adequate so that every single conclude can relaxation on the middle of 1 of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats with no touching your gymnast. There must be adequate clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out whilst the bar rests on the mats. Even though you will be spotting your gymnast, the mats will also support avert the bar from touching her. If a single mat on each aspect is not large sufficient, you should use two folded mats on each and every facet. If the bar is introduced down too rapidly or falls, it should land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a very secure exercise when the mentor and gymnast maintain protection in brain.
four. When the mats are set up, area the bar on the mats and make certain it will not tumble among the mats or roll off.
5. Starting up Place: As soon as the mats and bar are in spot, instruct your gymnast to sit among the mats, slide her legs beneath the bar, and then lie down. She need to position herself so that the bar is earlier mentioned her hips.
6. Once positioned, let your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to maintain her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. Be cautious the bar does not change to an unsafe commencing situation.
eight. Following, instruct her to carry the bar up towards ceiling and then toward the floor earlier mentioned her head to simulate a solid to handstand motion with her upper human body.
9. Remind your gymnast to keep on to keep the bar securely and then enable her to carry the bar off the flooring, toward ceiling once again, and then reduced it to the mat over her hips to simulate a kip with her upper entire body.
10. Allow your gymnast to continue with a number of repetitions if she is able. Advise her that it should be a steady movement as soon as she is comfortable.
11. Your gymnast will very likely need to have more place lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation phase) which involves the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return period which includes the back again (latissimus) muscle tissue. Be ready to spot all phases of this physical exercise. You can have 1 coach place each portion. To location the raise from the mat, kneel on 1 of the mats to support your gymnast lift off the mat. Kneel close to her head to place the carry from the ground. Make positive you can achieve the bar, especially when it is over your gymnast’s human body.
twelve. Commence with the lightest bar feasible, perhaps even a broomstick to guarantee correct protection and sort. After accustomed to this workout, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a firming bar, but it must always rely on her power and expertise. If you are employing a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel around every single finish to help stop your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The next exercise is far more obvious. This 1 also helps the gymnast with distinct gymnastics capabilities simply because she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Digital Handstand – Planche Drill is a fantastic exercise for physique tightness, management, upper human body strength, and main power. This drill is an proper physical exercise for gymnasts on so several levels, which includes those predicted to carry out the solid handstand and obvious hip handstand on bars in the close to long term.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her again to a recognizing block or mat stack, place her arms on the flooring, and then spot one particular foot/ankle on the block. As soon as your gymnast has 1 foot/ankle on the block, she can then area her other foot/ankle up on the block.
two. Now your gymnast should be in an elevated press up situation with her toes on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and upper body must continue being off the flooring during this physical exercise.
goninjaprogram.com three. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated thrust up place, instruct her to go her fingers closer to the recognizing block and her shoulders ahead in buy to kind a slight planche position.
4. When your gymnast is in the planche situation with her toes on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her belly button in. You must see the reduced part of your gymnast’s again elongate into the proper lower back situation for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
five. Right after your gymnast has formed the appropriate form with her reduce body, instruct her to press down on the floor and pull in her chest at the same time. The part of your gymnast’s back between her shoulder blades ought to increase towards the ceiling. Your gymnast has just performed a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche press up placement. To help train the shoulder shrug touch the portion of your gymnast’s back again that is among her shoulder blades and request her to drive up on your hand to sort the rounded back again.
6. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that limited form throughout the relaxation of the workout.
7. To commence the exercise, instruct your gymnast to raise 1 of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to preserve her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s human body, with the exception of the foot/ankle nonetheless supported on the block should have moved as 1 unit up to the one leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed toward the ceiling ought to be the one forming the handstand condition together with the upper entire body.
eight. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and one ankle should be immediately above her arms although the other leg continues to be supported on the block. Tell your gymnast that her hips and shoulders ought to stay sq. with the block. Her buttocks ought to be under, belly in, hip opened, chest in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched position. Remaining sq. and restricted is not constantly simple for the gymnast.
nine. When your gymnast is in the correct single leg, or virtual, handstand position she can get started the return motion by gradually decreasing her totally free leg back again to the block and shifting her shoulders marginally ahead so she returns to the planche drive up situation. Your gymnast’s human body must transfer as a single device to the starting position. Instruct your gymnast to preserve her head in line with her backbone, neither tucked in nor tilted again.
10. Subsequent, instruct your gymnast to return to the one leg, or digital, handstand situation by lifting her cost-free leg again up over her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She have to also open her armpits again up, and sq. her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast have to carry her shoulders and head into alignment for the appropriate handstand condition again. Instruct your gymnast to look at the floor just previously mentioned her arms for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
eleven. After your gymnast understands the movement of the digital handstand to planche and back again to the handstand, inquire her to comprehensive a handful of repetitions before halting if she is ready.
twelve. Advise your gymnast not to planche as well much forward until she builds toughness and becomes very cozy so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You must also tell your gymnast to talk when she is fatigued so that you can allow her to relaxation. This physical exercise places incredible strain on your gymnast’s wrists. You must allow her to relaxation when she communicates that her wrists are obtaining drained.
This workout, when carried out accurately, closely simulates the shoulder motions of the solid handstand and obvious hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a ground bar as prolonged as the ground bar is steady.
The continuous modify in shoulder angle brings about a change in the desire on your gymnast’s higher human body muscle tissues. Your gymnast should produce strength in a vast range of positions soon after executing this drill frequently and regularly more than the system of time.
As you can see, these workouts are so a lot diverse from push ups because of the straight arm coaching which so closely simulates gymnastics expertise. Your gymnast’s total upper physique will be challenged with this exercise. If carried out regularly and regularly this drill must support immensely with general upper human body toughness in addition to specific gymnastics abilities.
Despite the fact that the thrust up and bench push are great exercises, they do not genuinely simulate the gymnastics expertise of female gymnasts. Gymnastics expertise have to be simulated in a safe fashion in order to prepare a gymnast’s head and human body to execute gymnastics skills securely and successfully.